Greg Smith has significant experience in handling the defense of medical malpractice, construction defect cases, premises liability, products liability cases, fiduciary duty litigation, general civil litigation, and toxic tort (benzene, asbestos, and silica) as both local and national counsel for various commercial entities. Greg has handled trademark infringement matters and participated in the appellate review of health care liability and general civil disputes.
Greg is a lifelong Houstonian and was a third generation graduate of St. Thomas High School. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree with Honors from The University of Texas at Austin in 1999. He then attended The University of Houston Law Center, where he earned his Juris Doctorate in 2002. Greg served as a judicial intern for the Thirteenth District Court of Appeals in Corpus Christi, Texas during the summer of 2000. He worked directly with Justice J. Bonner Dorsey and Chief Justice Robert J. Seerden, assisting with their appellate review of a broad spectrum of civil and criminal matters.
Greg is licensed to practice in Texas and New York. He is admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas as well as the Northern District Court of New York. Mr. Smith is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the State Bar of New York, the New York State Bar Association, the Greater Houston Society for Healthcare Risk Management, the Sigma Chi Fraternity, and a lifetime member of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. He was recognized as a Texas Rising Star in Civil Litigation Defense in 2007 and 2008.
- Won summary judgment for non-profit association in regards to election dispute involving interpretation of corporate by-laws and compliance with Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Won reversal of summary judgment on appeal in Bexar County permitting client, chimpanzee rescue society, to retain possession and continue caring for six chimpanzees in suit by former owner.
- Won arbitration proceeding on behalf of Hawaiian real estate management company in dispute with condominium property owner regarding alleged breach of contract with rental pool agreement.
- Won bench trial for national construction company against former employees accused of theft, conversion, and fraud.
- Won bench trial dismissing complaints by homeowner against their property owners association based upon alleged violations of deed restrictions and governing documents of Association.